Saturday, March 23, 2013

Deterring the Gift-Givers

Last week was my birthday. I hate birthdays. They usually involve friends giving you useless and/or joke gifts while the rest of your friends apologize profusely for their lack of useless and/or joke gifts. This birthday, however, was tolerable (I went to the city and saw Jersey boys and it was awesome and oh my frickin' gawd!), but I won't go into that.

I have a close friend who loves birthdays, specifically other peoples'. A few days beforehand she called me.

"So what should I get you for your birthday?"

I thought about it. "A roll of toilet paper…with your deepest-darkest secrets written on it."

"Come one."

"Seriously. That's what I want."

"What do you really want?"

"I don't know. I have everything I want. I want nothing more. How about some laundry detergent? We're always running out of that stuff."

"Oh my god! Just tell me what you want for your birthday!"

"Laundry detergent!"

We repeated the process four times.

She got me laundry detergent.

I love winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment